Reset Your Thinking Day 18 – So You Need Approval?
“Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God’s approval.” –Thomas S. Monson
Approval is like a killer drug (it induce stupor or insensibility to your identity). You seeking approval becomes addictive and you quickly develop a need for more. When you have a need for approval you value the beliefs, opinions and needs of others above your own. Their opinion of you is far more important to you than your own view of yourself.
Receiving disapproval becomes a painful (heartbreaking) experience. Your entire decision-making processes are eventually taken over by your need for the approval of others. You cannot take any decisive action without their approval. You’ll sacrifice your own dreams and ambitions in order to have their approval, Why? You may argue that you do not engage in approval seeking behaviour. However, there are common behaviors which you may fail to recognise as approval seeking. Do you?
- Change your position because someone appears to disapprove
- Paying insincere compliments to gain approval
- Feeling upset, worried, or insulted when someone disagrees with you
- Expressing agreement (verbally or non-verbally) when you do not agree
- Doing something which you do not want to do because you are afraid to say ‘No’Any
Behavior which is contrary to your identity and purpose, or conflicts with your core beliefs, is generally done to gain the approval of someone else. One of the easiest ways to avoid approval seeking is to live a life that is true to your own values and true to yourself. #ResetYourThinking